Looking for How to loft a Dorm Bed? If you’re like most college students, you probably don’t have a lot of space in your dorm room. But that doesn’t mean you can’t make the most of what you have! With a little creativity, you can turn your small space into a cozy and functional living area.
Besides transforming bed into couch or using a stylish day bed on your dorm, One way to do this is to loft your bed. By raising your bed off the ground, you can create extra storage space underneath. You can also use the space to create a makeshift couch or reading nook.
Not sure how to get started? Don’t worry; we’ve got you covered. Read on for our step-by-step guide to lofting your dorm bed.
Why Should You Loft your Dorm Bed?
There are plenty of reasons to loft your dorm bed. Here are some reason why you should have a lofted bed on your dorm.
Most college dorm rooms are cramped and small, so any extra space you can create is a major plus. When you loft your bed, you can use the newfound space to put a desk, dresser, couch, mini fridge or even a TV.
You can also use the extra space to invite friends over for movie nights or study sessions. And if you have a roommate, they will appreciate the extra floor space (and might even be willing to help you loft your bed).
How to loft a dorm bed
Lofting a dorm bed is a great way to create extra space in your room. It also gives you a place to store things out of the way.
You can buy a loft kit from most college stores or online retailers. The kit will come with everything you need to loft your bed, including hardware, brackets, and a ladder.
Follow the instructions below to loft your dorm bed.
- Measure the height of your bed and ceiling. Most dorm beds are about 60 inches tall, and most ceilings are about 8 feet tall. You will need to know these measurements to determine the correct height for lofts.
- Place the brackets in your kit on either side of your bed frame, ensuring they are level.
- Use the hardware that came in your kit to attach the brackets to your bed frame.
- Place the beams that came in your kit on top of the brackets. These beams will support your mattress once it is raised up off of the ground.
- Attach the beams to the brackets using the hardware that came in your kit . Make sure that the beams are level before tightened completely . To do this , place a level on top of one of the beams and adjust until it reads level . Continue this process until all beams are attached and level . Note : It may be helpful to have someone hold the beams in place while you attach them .
- Raise your mattress up onto the beams . Make sure that it is centered so that it does not fall off . Once it is in place , congratulations ! You have successfully lofted your dorm bed .
How High Can You Raise A Dorm Bed?
Typically, you can raise a twin dorm bed to anywhere between 36 and 38 inches off the ground. The average university dorm mattress is between 6 and 8 inches thick, so raising your bed will give you plenty of extra space for storing things underneath. Some schools have lofted bed frames that allow you to raise your bed even higher, giving you even more storage space.
How to loft a dorm bed with cinder blocks
Cinder blocks are a great alternative if you want to loft your dorm bed but don’t want to use the traditional method of squeaky metal bed risers. Cinder blocks are inexpensive, easy to find, and simple to use. With a little bit of effort, you can easily loft your dorm bed with cinder blocks.
Here’s what you’ll need:
-4 cinder blocks
-1 piece of plywood (optional)
To get started, first decide how high you want to loft your bed. For reference, a standard twin bed is about 6 inches from the ground.
Once you’ve decided on the height, arrange the cinder blocks on the floor in front of the bed. If you’re using plywood, place it on top of the cinder blocks. Then, carefully lift the bed and place it on top of the cinder blocks (or plywood). That’s it! Your bed is now successfully lofted and ready for use.
How to adjust dorm bed height
Most dorm beds are adjustable, so you can either raise or lower the bed to fit your needs. Although each bed is different, the process for adjusting the height is usually pretty similar. Follow the steps below to adjust the height of your dorm bed:
- Locate the adjustment knobs or levers on either side of the bed frame. These are usually located near the floor.
- Turn both knobs or levers to loosen them.
- Raise or lower the bed frame to your desired height.
- Turn both knobs or levers to tighten them, making sure that the bed frame is secure at your chosen height.
How do you raise a low platform bed?
To raise a low platform bed, you will need to add bed risers to the legs of the bed frame. Bed risers come in a variety of heights, so you can choose how much you want to raise your bed. Once you have added the bed risers, your bed will be higher off the ground and will have more space underneath for storage.
How do you secure a loft bed?
Bed posts can be inserted into the top of the legs to further stabilize the structure and provide a place to attach a curtain or sheet for added privacy.
To secure the bed posts, use either L-brackets or corner braces. If you are using L-brackets, drill four holes in each bracket — two on each side of the post.
Slip the bracket over the top of the bed post so that the inside edge of the bracket is flush with the side of the post. Attach brackets to each bed post using lag screws and washers (or carriage bolts and washers).
For corner braces, follow the same procedure but use three screws per bracket instead of four. Once all four brackets are in place, your loft bed will be extra sturdy!
What is a lofting kit?
A lofting kit is a system of brackets and platforms that allow you to raise your bed off the ground, creating extra space in your dorm room. You can use this space to store belongings, create a reading nook, or just make your room feel more spacious.
Can you raise a dorm bed yourself?
You may be able to adjust your bed yourself, depending on the type of bed and mattress you have. If you have a coil spring mattress, you will likely be able to increase the height of your bed by adding a coil spring booster. This is essentially an extra layer of springs that sits on top of your existing mattress. If you have a memory foam, latex, or pillow-top mattress, you may be able to purchase a memory foam or latex topper that will add an additional inch or two to the height of your bed. These can be found at most major retailers that sell mattresses.
How do you not fall off a loft bed?
Most Loft beds have four sides with a railing running the length of each side. The height of each railing is generally between 33 and 36 inches (83.8 and 91.4 cm), with the exception of the headboard and footboard, which are usually about 5 inches (12.7 cm) shorter. The distance between the top of one rail and the bottom of the rail above it is generally between 13 and 16 inches (33 and 40 cm).